New Street New Start
- Over 140,000 passengers use New Street every day, more than double the number it was designed to cater for.
- The station is dark, unwelcoming and overcrowded with poor access for passengers.
- We’re transforming it into exactly the kind of station passengers deserve and that the people of Birmingham will be proud of.
New Street facts
- New Street is the busiest station outside London and the busiest interchange station in the UK with a train leaving the station every 37 seconds.
- 1000 workers are currently on site, working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- The first half of the new station completed in April 2013 and from 2015 there will be 36 new escaltors and 15 new lifts – reaching every platform.