Sponsored by Homebase The British Homes Awards have been pivotal in providing a catalyst for change in the creation of new homes and has this year received record levels of entries across all the award categories.
Organiser Mike Gazzard Hon FRIBA, explained:
“With the support of the Sunday Times and our many commercial and industry partners the awards have gone from strength to strength. The growth in the housing market, encouraged by the government, has seen house builders of all sizes designing and building amazing homes and creating the kind of communities the country real needs. The judges where particularly impressed with the quality of the many bespoke home designs submitted.”
Sponsored this year by Todd Doors the one-off house or extension category recognises properties designed by an architect to bespoke commission or for speculative sale. Judged within three sub categories this year’s short list includes-
Up to 2, 500 sq ft:
- Dalston House: HÛT Architects: ASAP Construction
- Eidolon House: Dominic McKenzie Architects: Harris Calnan Construction
- Four Views: AR Design Studio: Mike Jacobs Builders
- Pobble House: Guy Hollaway Architects: ASF Bespoke Developments
- The Garden House: De Matos Ryan
Between 2,500 and 5,000 sq ft:
- Harrogate House: Bramhall Blenkharn: Dane Developments
- Walnut Burrow: PFG Design: Masma Ltd.
- Wedge House: SOUP Architects
Above 5,000 sq ft
- Ball House: Gareth Hoskins Architects
- Colts, Henley on Thames: The Manser Practice
- Fishbourne Quay: The Manser Practice
- St John’s Wood House: Alan Higgs Architects
- The Garden House: Des Ewing Residential Architects: MG Construction
Commenting on the awards last year the then Minister for Housing, Kris Hopkins MP, said:
“The British Homes Awards continue to demonstrate the most imaginative and innovative designs, which inspire the creation of beautiful homes built to high environmental standards using the latest technologies.”
A report on the winning one-off house or extensions will be covered in the next issue of SbH.
By David Mote, Editor