International architecture and design practice Conran and Partners and the Hyde Group have received planning approval for a major waterside regeneration project comprising 255 new homes on the bank of the River Adur, between Southwick and Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex.
The approximately £40m mixed-use proposals for the former industrial sites at Kingston Wharf will transform a significant proportion of the Western Harbour Arm of the Joint Area Action Plan (JAAP), an ambitious zonal masterplan delivering regeneration and associated infrastructure within Adur & Worthing, Brighton & Hove and Shoreham Port Authority.
As well as providing much-needed, affordable new homes tied into local affordability, the designs will bring wider benefits including: the introduction of flood defences for Shoreham Harbour and the surrounding area; a publicly accessible and attractive river walk to the site’s southern river edge; widening and greening of the busy A259 Brighton Road to the north to provide space for the future planned cycleway; and a generous pedestrian footpath and soft landscaping. The potential to connect to the planned district heating network is also incorporated.
The proposal also incorporates an Easistore facility, office space and a riverside café designed by ECE Architecture. These elements will assist in revitalising the waterfront by attracting people to the area while also creating new opportunities for employment.
The site is located on a prominent 1.6 ha site adjacent to Kingston Beach and the Grade II listed 1846 Buci Lighthouse. The homes are arranged across 4 to 8 storeys in a stepped series of three ‘horseshoe’ forms that wrap around spacious raised south-facing podium gardens which overlook an attractive riverside public promenade and cycle route along the river’s edge. Once complete, the new public river walk will connect Shoreham town centre with Kingston Beach. Each apartment has generous windows and recessed balconies creating light and airy homes and attractive private external spaces for all residents, with extensive views to the river and sea.
Attractive landscaped spaces between the buildings create three north-south pedestrian routes linking Brighton Road to the river’s edge.
The proposed development is set back from the main road, enabling a green corridor with seasonal plants to be introduced. The architectural design and materiality draw on the site’s industrial heritage and adjacent port through its material selection and detailing. The stepped buildings will be created from robust, textured brick, stone and metal.
The mix of one, two and three bedroom homes will be served by 207 car parking spaces in a semi-recessed basement, 28% of which will have an active electric charging provision with the remaining 72% able to adapt to full electric charging to meet the expected future demand. 154 secure cycle spaces are provided together with 16 visitor spaces.
Guy Slocombe, Chief Investment Officer, Hyde Group, said: “We are very much looking forward to delivering this fantastic project, as part of our ongoing commitment to work closely with Adur & Worthing Councils to bring more affordable homes and deliver real economic benefits to the area.
Thanks to our strategic partnership with Homes England, all of the homes will be affordable, available for rent or for shared ownership, meeting a range of housing needs and enabling people to get onto the housing ladder.”
Lee Davies, Partner, Conran and Partners, said: “We are delighted that our carefully considered design proposals for this very important regeneration project will deliver much-needed, affordable homes to the area have been approved.
Our design approach not only provides desirable new homes but also initiates this part of the wider masterplan and provides a catalyst for positive change in the area.
Kingston Wharf forms part of our growing portfolio of projects seeking to transform regeneration areas through good design. We are confident that this scheme will serve as a benchmark for future developments in the area.”